vBulletin - Facebook connect
Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:13 PM
[Updated due to changes in Facebook.]
In 4.0.4, we have expanded the functionality of our integration with Facebook. First, and most importantly, we have stopped using the deprecated Facebook Connect platform, and instead switched over to the new Graph API. This change includes rendering Open Graph metadata on each page, which is used to semantically describe certain content like threads, blog posts and CMS articles. On top of this, we have implemented automatic posting to a user's newsfeed/wall for the following items:
1. New threads
2. Thread Replies
3. Blog Entries
4. Blog Comments
5. New CMS Articles
6. Article Comments
Also, we have added the "Like" button for threads, blog entries and articles.
Now, in case this is your first time setting up Facebook with vBulletin, the following is short guide on how to do so:
FIRST TIME USERS: Setting up Facebook for 4.0.4:
* Create new application on facebook.com (Required for each vB installation)
1. Goto: http://www.facebook.com/developers, and login
2. Click “Set Up New Application” (top-right)
3. Enter an appropriate name, click “Agree,” and click “Create Application”
4. Enter the correct values for the 'Security Check'
5. On the page that comes up, click Web Site” from the menu on the left
6. In the “Site URL” input, enter the URL of the forum root for your vB installation. This should be exactly the same as your Forum URL setting in the Admin CP (and with no trailing slash.)
7. Click “Save Changes”
8. Make a note of the “Application ID,” and “Application Secret,” we will need these later.
* Enable Facebook Connect on your vB installation
1. Goto your vB site, and login to the admincp
2. Goto “Settings”->”Options”->”Facebook Options” and click “Edit Settings”
3. Check “Yes” for “Enable Facebook Connect”
4. Enter “Application ID” and “Facebook Secret” from the Facebook Developer page
5. Click “Save”
6. Facebook should now be enabled and working
Also, to see a demo of the new features, check out the following video:
If you are happy with our support, please leave feedback here it will be much appreciated!
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users